As an employer, you will be aware that there are many actions that you can take that benefit your business, but one such action which may not have been at the forefront of your thoughts is the help you provide to an employee who requires drug rehab. Discovering that an employee has a drug addiction, such as an ice addiction, either via an internal investigation or by that individual approaching you and admitting they have a drug addiction throws up many questions, which can include,
- How long has their drug addiction existed?
- Have they been taking drugs on the business premises?
- Has it affected their work?
- Are there other employees who may have a drug addiction?
- Do I need to replace this employee?
- Can I help this employee?
- How do I help this employee
- Is there a cost to the business?
One question that is not on that list, but is probably the main one to answer is “What Do I Do Next?”. This is what most employers will have going through their minds when drug addiction blight one of their employees. Presumably, your business will have a drugs policy that is available in employee handbooks. In most cases, you should refer to that policy for your next step.