Whether you are an amateur at web design and development, or someone who has been playing in the field for a long time, you’ll need a few pointers that are like a miniature checklist. This will help you focus on the key areas that need to be taken care of when you are developing a website. Some of them are pretty obvious, while the others are sometimes forgotten in the course of a typical web development program. Anyway, here are the nitty-gritty details of the important things that need to be attended to.
- Browser compatibility – When you are developing a website for a client, it is important to make sure that the site is compatible with most of the commonly used browsers. Sites that are incompatible with popular browsers will only result in drastically low traffic for your client’s site, and that is not something you want on your hands.
- The background templates –Pretty often, developers focus too much on the elements in the foreground and pay little attention to what runs behind it all. Having a user friendly background that is easy on the eyes seems like a small thing, but it contributes greatly to how popular the site gets with time. Obviously, people will not linger too long on a webpage that strains their eyes.
- The font and typography – Just like the background, the typography is important. Different sites do well with different fonts, depending on whether or not it is a serious issue that is being discussed on the site, or it is simply a fun little blog. Also, there are some fonts that are to be avoided at all costs, no matter what the theme of the site, while there are others that are always user friendly and fit in well with any theme.
- Responsiveness of the site – Responsiveness is not as easy as it sounds. It is a vast concept, and putting it into practice requires that the web developer takes care of all the little nuances that go into making a web site adequately responsive. On the upside, having a site with the right level of responsiveness saves up the costs of creating an app for the site, or of creating several versions of the website itself.
- Scrolling through the site – Parallax scrolling experienced a huge surge in popularity for a while. True, it was visually very appealing. However, it is infinite scrolling that most clients seek these days. The simple and most obvious reason behind this is that it allows the user to scroll through the site endlessly while simply rolling over the scroll wheel in the mouse. Although this seems like a simple addition to the site, it works wonders when it comes to boosting up the traffic instead of curtailing it.
When all is said and done, one final tip that will take your web development project right to the top is this – remember to ask your client exactly what they want, and go about incorporating that into their website design.